PLEASE APPLY DIRECTLY ON OUR SITE! Do not submit resumes through Indeed or other External Sources as it does not capture the full application.
About City on a Hill (CoaH):
City on a Hill graduates college-ready students that are responsible, resourceful and respectful democratic citizens, who are prepared to compete in 21st century community, culture and commerce. We do so by emphasizing academic achievement, citizenship, teacher leadership, and public accountability.
City on a Hill began with a single high school in Boston, opening its doors in 1995. Currently we have three locations: Circuit Street (Roxbury, MA) Dudley Square (Roxbury, MA) and New Bedford. We invite you to join our nationally recognized team of innovative and collegial educators who are fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty and student body.
The Regional Director of Operations (RDO) is a critical member of operations at City on a Hill and is directly responsible for the effective implementation of operational systems at the school level as well as the integration of these systems across the City on a Hill network. The RDO, along with each school Principal, supports the Director of School Operations (DSO) at each school in managing all operational responsibilities at the school level in order to allow both teachers and students to do their best work. The RDO provides on-going training and support to the DSOs at each campus and ensures that best practices are shared throughout the network. The RDO reports to the Chief of Strategy and Operations.
Responsibilities of this Role:
Management and Development of Directors of School Operations (DSO)
● Further develops existing DSO training program so that DSOs are fully trained in key operational areas so they can best lead and support their individual school’s operational functions
● Documents current process and identifies needs for further enhancement and refinement and in some case standardization across schools
● Works with department leaders to develop training modules for each operational area that DSO leads at his or her school
● Creates/enhances an on-boarding program for new DSOs, differentiated for existing schools and school start-ups
● Works with department leaders and school Principals to develop benchmarks for defining successful outcomes in each operational area
● Identifies best practices among DSOs in leading operational functions at each school, and develops cross-training opportunities for the DSO learning community
● Supports, coaches and is jointly accountable with the school Principal for the professional development of the DSOs
● Depending on tenure or development needs of each DSO, conducts weekly or bi-weekly check-ins with DSOs; in some cases, conducts joint check-ins with DSO and school Principal
● Identifies areas for DSO growth, along with school Principal, and provides on-going coaching and support
● Identifies professional development opportunities for DSOs and promotes cross training among DSOs across the network
● Develops accountability structure, with input from school Principal, for DSOs to succeed as operational leaders in their schools; works with school Principal and Regional department leaders to implement accountability structure
● Along with the City on a Hill Human Resources Team, develops and cultivates a DSO recruitment strategy to attract operational leaders at each school.
● Works with school Principals to identify needs at each school
● Develops selection criteria and informs recruitment process
● Manages recruitment process with Recruitment Associate
● Actively participates in interviews and hiring process, involving key stakeholders in decision-making as necessary
Network Systems Creation and Solutions
● Proactively identifies operational areas in need of improvement at the network level and develops and implements large-scale improvements to systems and processes to improve efficiency in such areas:
● Develops project plans including timeline and deliverables
● Appropriately involves key stakeholders
● Manages projects to effectively develop and implement solutions
● Holds City on a Hill members accountable for meeting deliverables
● Regularly meets and collaborates with Regional departmental leaders (Finance, Technology, Facilities, Nutrition, Curriculum and Instruction, Compliance, Academic Support) to identify and work on operational efficiencies or improvement projects
Management of Enrollment and Transportation Functions, and Data Support
● Oversees the enrollment City on a Hill and ensures that City on a Hill is maximizing student recruitment efforts
● Ensures coordination between enrollment and school operations
● Identifies areas for creating efficiencies across schools
● Manages City on a Hill’s relationship with its transportation providers
● Develops network-wide efficiencies for transportation program and ensures implementation by DSOs at all schools
● Integrates academic support and school operations to support student achievement.
● Ensures school operations staff are trained to assume more responsibility for the operational side of City on a Hill’s work
Special Projects Management & COO Support
● Supports the work of the Chief of Strategy and Operations in identifying and developing network-wide system improvements to support City on a Hill’s growth, creating more efficiencies while still allowing for freedom and innovation at the schools
● Works on or manages special projects related to operations as they arise
● Manages effective implementation of annual or biannual City on a Hill Schools operational projects
● Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is required
● Advanced degree in business, management, economics, finance, education, or related field is preferred
● Preferred work experience in business, finance, operations or related field
● Previous operations experience at a high-performing organization
● A demonstrated interest in education and/or the non-profit sector
● Demonstrated project management experience
● Three years of management and coaching experience
● Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel
● Experience in data analysis and systems is preferred
● A passion for the mission, vision, and values of City on a Hill Charter Schools
● A detail-oriented self-starter and determined problem-solver who works best in a goal-oriented, timeline-driven environment with the ability to create and innovate; gets things done
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills
● Strong organization skills with respect to data and project management
● Adaptability – ability to solve problems in a variety of areas and feel comfortable in promptly interchanging between tasks across different functions and/or departments
● Comfortable working both independently and on a team
● Accustomed to giving and receiving feedback
● Solution-oriented continuous learner
The City on a Hill Instructional Philosophy and Background:
City on a Hill is a Network of teacher-centered charter public high schools in Boston and New Bedford dedicated to improving urban education and getting all of its graduates into and through college. As one of the original fourteen charter public schools in the Commonwealth, City on a Hill schools have college-prep standards within a rigorous curriculum.
City on a Hill Charter Public Schools are high schools determined to teach each and every one of its students the academic skills he or she will need to succeed in college and beyond. Our school leaders, faculty, and students are committed and ready to dedicate the time, energy, and hard work to achieve the school’s mission. The school’s mission is predicated on the belief that not only can all students learn, but all students must learn in order to embrace their rights and responsibilities as American citizens and acquire the academic and cultural capital to improve their community.
It is the policy of City on a Hill Charter Public Schools to obtain all available Federal and State background information through both SAFIS (Statewide Applicant Fingerprint Identification Services) and CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information), as allowed by law, of all employees and prospective employees of the school.
City on a Hill provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, City on a Hill complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.